Caught In Reflection.

Well it’s all done…

I really don’t know how to feel. I am elated, delighted, drained, apprehensive, pensive, frustrated, humbled, proud all at the same time. I am very pleased with the reception Withering Tights was given. People laughed at the Dominoes bit. Cried at the old lady’s speech and joined in with the Kate Bush pre-set. I couldn’t have asked for a better response. I was truly humbled to have not only a sell out show but to release extra tickets and even sell out those too. To have so much support and people wanting to pay money just to see me, really is an actor’s dream, and consequently my dream. I feel like a professional actress after creating and performing Withering Tights. No not everything went to plan, and I will be the first to point out the show is defiantly a working progress, with still some issues that need fine tuning. I was very disheartened to have to contend with technical issues in the 2 hours before the show. For some reason we ran out of time with sorting out the tech that I didn’t get a full run through done. There were a few tech issues that I felt was cutting it a bit fine in terms of time, but these last minuet scares are to be expected… it is theatre darling! I feel the best way to comment on my show is to interview myself and give my responses…

What part of this process are you most proud of?

I have been very proud of the writing involved during this module. Looking back I have written several monologues and several different fleshed out plays that have all stemmed from various inspirations during these few months. I have discovered a real love of script writing and I think a style (dark comedy) that is just me personified. I have also enjoyed being able to comment on the work of my fellow soloists and help them out with ideas. Again it makes me think of one of the very earliest solo lessons where we wondered if solo performance was ever really solo? I have learnt that it absolutely isn’t. As so many people have helped and inspired me to write Withering Tights, and I in return have helped others. There has been a massive sense of  community between all the soloist endeavouring to create our own mini performances. It has been quite a pleasure actually.

Are there any bits of your show you would change?

I don’t know if I would drastically change the piece but there is a lot I would like to fine tune. The catwalk beam of light I so desperately wanted was not possible in the time I had with the technicians. The three spotlights I used as a substitute did not work as well for me. I would have spaced the set out a lot better, on paper and in my mind I pictured the set looking quite minimal and spacious. Actually Studio 1 was not as big as I anticipated and my set looked a little bit too cluttered, which I would defiantly change if I could do it again. From a performer’s point of view, the first monologue I was not happy with. I defiantly let the nerves get to me at the start and as result I skipped a few lines and I think my voice sounded a bit shaky at points. However I defiantly settled into the piece as I am very happy with the way I delivered the second and third sections.

Were you at all influenced by anyone?

Well apart from the obvious answer of Kate Bush who has been my muse throughout this process. I think in the beginning stages when I was looking at doing a more performance art installation type piece I was defiantly influenced by Marina Abramovich. For me, she is the Kate Bush of the performance art world. Just beautiful and wacky and inspirational. When i realised performance art is not my strength I did look at the work of Laurie Anderson, who focusses far more on the autobiographical. But really, Withering Tights was inspired by me. I am aware how arrogant that sounds. But I wrote a show for me, I wrote a show that I would love to see and that I would pay money for. The style of the piece is completely parallel to my personality, incorporating elements of everything I love. I think any artist when they create whatever work, need to do it for themselves ultimately. This I believe is even more important with solo performance.

What sort of feedback did you get and can you comment on it?

So far I have had nothing but positive feedback from the piece, which is fantastic to hear. Of course all my nearest and dearest friends were the critics so I doubt they would be too critical, but even still it is a great achievement. Everyone LOVED the Dominoes sketch… and I think it was one of my favourite bits. It was certainly fun to perform. I think it has been received so well because it rings true with so many of us. Dominoes is a very sexy thing to a lot of people. Not just myself. I wanted the Dominoes sketch to be one of those things that effects the audience members long after the show, but next time they order a pizza they remember my performance. I think I achieved that.

What is next for Withering Tights?

I would love to continue and develop Withering Tights further. I think it has a lot of potential. I originally didn’t like the idea because I didn’t think it could be a solo show. I thought it would work better with three women. I would like to perhaps adapt the piece and get more actors involved. I think that could be quite interesting. Although saying that, I have defiantly got the soloist bug. I think I could be quite happy working solo forever. It is such a wonderful opportunity to show off. And lets face it what drama student doesn’t want to do that. I would love to adapt Withering Tights or perhaps write a completely different show and take it up to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival… now that would be a dream come true.